Monday 30 December 2013

Gypsy mother demands new council house because her beliefs 'do not allow her to live in a home where someone has died'

An unemployed mother has demanded to be given a new council house after she discovered that a man died in her current home.

Lisa Bowden insists that her traveller beliefs mean that she cannot live anywhere where someone has died.
And the mother of four says her local council has a duty to provide her with a new taxpayer-funded home.
Former heroin addict Ms Bowden, 40, moved in to the two-bedroom flat in Dartford, Kent in October with her nine-year-old son.
But she was soon horrified to learn that the previous tenant, a 64-year-old man, had died in the property, and called in a priest to bless the first-floor flat.
However, she says that she still believes she can sense the man's spirit moving around her home, and has applied to be moved by Dartford Borough Council.
According to traveller tradition, when someone dies at home their caravan should be burned in order release the spirit of the dead person.
'It is forbidden for us to enter somewhere where someone's died,' said Ms Bowden, who has not worked since 1998 because of ill health. 'It's not good for us.
'I can feel the man's spirit and it gives me the shivers. I can't live here. I always sleep with the light on and would never stay here at night on my own.
'The council need to give me a new home - one with a garden and three bedrooms so my daughter can visit.'

Ms Bowden claims £260 a week in benefits for herself and her son - her other three children have left home.
At her council flat, she has two flat-screen televisions, two games consoles, a leather sofa and a designer sofa.
But she says the ghostly presence of the former tenant has made her ill and stopped her from fulfilling her dream of working as a beautician.
'I had such a hard time with the council about this flat,' Ms Bowden said. 'They made me ill, I think. The council workers had it in for me.
'I told them I didn't want a flat where someone died, but they didn't listen and told me either I take the flat or I end up on the street.'
Neighbours accused her of being 'ungrateful' for her State-funded accommodation.
'Nobody should turn their nose up at a free flat, even if someone has died in it,' one told The Sun. 'It's not like he is still in there.'
Matthew Sinclair, chief executive of the TaxPayers' Alliance, said: 'Many people will find it difficult to believe a council could be accused of mistreating someone by providing a taxpayer-funded council house.'
A spokesman for Dartford Borough Council said: 'We have made plans to rehome her. We have no further comment.'
Gypsy leaders say that while it is traditional to burn the caravans of the dead, there are not strict rules about living in a house where someone has died.